Bruce Tinsley Watch
It’s been nearly two months since a substitute artist took over Mallard Fillmore and it’s still unclear what happened to Bruce Tinsley, but now there are some clues courtesy of comics curmudgeon Josh Frulinger. First, according to The Daily Cartoonist, the syndicate started rerunning strips in late November “due to unforeseen circumstances.” Secondly, the syndicate published – and then mysteriously removed – an interview with the substitute artist, which just says Tinsley’s “away.” Finally, earlier this month Tinsley made his first tweet in more than a year, a reply to Candace Owens.
For what it’s worth, I don’t think the new guy’s doing a bad job – he remembered that the supporting characters exist, which I appreciate, but it lacks the smugness, vitriol, and thinly-concealed bigotry of The Real Thing. Also, I still don’t like that font. Speaking of which…
…is Mallard going after me??
- Updated the Links page, sad to see some old sites I used to visit have disappeared. One day it will just be the Link page and only have one link to the last surviving website, rubbercat.net
- I caved and got a Letterboxd account. Probably won’t post any reviews on there because I don’t like having opinions on things, I just like compiling lists of media I’ve consumed
- You can find my other Official Canon social networks and more on this profile page I made for myself. Does anyone remember when about.me was a thing
Bernie dropping out of the race feels liberating. I don’t have to care about the election anymore. I can free up some space in my mind for other things. I shall pay no mind to the usual suspects already trotting out the old “blame the voter” routine they’ve been doing for the past 20 years. Sorry your “electable” candidate sucks ass but it’s not my problem, haha. I feel no obligation to vote for the party of austerity and means-testing that was sending voters out to their deaths. I can sit back and watch the debates – assuming there’ll be debates – without worrying about “my” candidate and just enjoy the grotesque spectacle of two senile dipshits squabbling about The Debt as the world continues to burn. A month ago, I felt an overwhelming sense of hopelessness and despair as I continued to work during the pandemic, but now I feel free.
THINGS I’VE BEEN ENJOYING LATELY
- Austin Powers in For Your Pussy Only – My Australian amigo Ryan Dell wrote this very funny script where Austin Powers and Dr. Evil compete in the Democratic primary. I feel a little chagrined that he knows all this minutiae about US politics while I don’t even know who the king of Australia is
- Fail Safe – Seen as the “straight” version of Dr. Strangelove. The scenes where the Air Force guys try to reassure a visiting congressman that everything’s perfectly normal, this happens all the time etc. only to slowly realize that things are NOT normal felt especially eerie with virus news in the background.
- Mr. Boop – Great comic about being married to Betty Boop
- Animal Crossing: New Horizons – Channeling my fear and grief into hunting down eggs for Bunny Day FTW.