The politics of the death penalty began to change in Virginia in 2005, when Timothy M. Kaine (D), a death-penalty opponent who had defended death-row inmates pro bono, was elected governor. Kaine’s Republican opponent, Jerry Kilgore, ran a TV ad saying that Kaine wouldn’t have supported executing Adolf Hitler.
But what does the guy from The Big Bang Theory think about the ISIS beheadings??
On Sunday night, a Times reporter tweeted a photo from a Samsung reception that showed the company’s rain machine misspelling the word “experience” (the falling water instead spelled “experiece”).
The image was retweeted nearly 400 times by Monday afternoon, with people making cracks about the missing N. “LEAVE SAMSUG ALOE,” one person tweeted.
Is it ethical for a journalist to report on the number of retweets she’s gotten?
Correction: An earlier version of this article erroneously stated that Bugs Bunny’s most notorious enemy is Porky Pig. While the two are known to frequently squabble, often in the public eye, they are in fact good friends.
“HAY MAYBE AMAZON SHOULD BUY THE POST OFFICE,” ponders newspaper owned by Jeff Bezos
I think it’s a shame that the controversy over Richard Cohen’s weird, racist editorial has overshadowed this gem:
I took the Internet Express out to Iowa, surveying its various newspapers, blogs and such
Fire up the computing machine, we’re taking the CyberJalopy down to the WebSaloon
- A symbol, if not a turning point – “For the past few weeks, people have been looking back over the 50 years since the great March on Washington and pondering how much or little has been done to realize the vision set forth at the Lincoln Memorial that day by Martin Luther King Jr.”
- The march’s forgotten goal – “Of all the commemorations of the March on Washington, the one that will best capture its sprit isn’t really a commemoration at all.”
- My father’s dream is still unrealized – “The massive turnout at Saturday’s march and rally at the Lincoln Memorial, commemorating the 1963 March on Washington and the wonderful spirit of all the participants, was a powerful testament to the enduring dream that my father, Martin Luther King Jr., shared with our nation and the world half a century ago.”
- The power of soul force to change the world – “The fearless gathered around midnight at Mount Olive Baptist Church in Hartford, Conn., to attend a prayer service before the long ride on charted buses to participate in the March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom.”
- A twerk too far – “If opinions differ on Miley Cyrus’s raunchy performance during MTV’s Video Music Awards, on one thing we can all agree: Miley loves her tongue.”
Mr. Johnson is just one of many skilled cheese wits around the city. Just this month, in fact, a cheesemonger named Peter Daniels, known as The Doctor, briefly had to reel in his reference-studded musings at Westside Market after a nod to Nostradamus caused a customer to complain.